Art Maps: 2024 Edition

Legion of Honor, San Francisco

This is a curated list of art museums and galleries from coast to coast. Since I've only been in the Bay Area a couple years I plan to continue updating/editing the first map as I learn more about what's available in the Bay Area but this should be a solid start for anyone who wants to use it as a resource. Since I have spent more years in NYC, I have a more comprehensive list below of galleries and museums for Manhattan. 

Here's how I imagine students using these maps: 
1) Select a gallery or museum (the museums are the blue dots - zoom in or out to help you select). 
2) Scroll through some of the photos associated with the location to see if the gallery or museum shows a style of art that you are currently interested in. 
3) To see what is currently on view (always check the dates to make sure an exhibition has not recently closed or is not open), click the website link for the listing. Pro-tip: Galleries are free to visit while museums are often pay-to-enter. Your student ID should get you a discount to museums but you might want to call or check online first. You may see an exhibition of one artist or it might be a group show. Use the current shows or previous exhibitions as a resource to learn more about new artists and art movements. 

Bay Area Galleries and Museums

NYC Galleries and Museums
 
*In order to keep this NYC list manageable I kept the listings strictly to Manhattan. There are amazing museums and galleries in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, etc. as well. I also restricted my galleries to Chelsea and Lower East Side. There are many more galleries uptown and throughout the city.